Tuesday, December 29, 2009

13

Untitled-1

It's officially official - we are parents of a teenager. How did that happen?

I'm actually really enjoying Drew growing into a young man. Our conversations are more complex and his personality, which has always been strongly evident, adds so much to our family.

This is of course the "I'm really too cool to stand here while you take my picture look, but what you don't see is the part of the thirteen year old that I really love; the part that likes pajamas days, to watch little kid shows with his brother, to be tucked in at night, and still lets himself be silly.

With these beautiful blue eyes, his heart of gold, and his confidence, it won't be too long before a girl tries to steal him away from me. TRIES, I said. It's a good thing I have three so when one leaves the nest I'll still have two baby birds to take care of. Even with a newborn, I am seeing the end to this stage one day.

Sometimes it feels like I can't wait to have free time, sleep in, and work without interruption but when I actually think of the house being empty - without their laughter, fighting, matchbox cars hitting the hardwood floor, footballs and basketballs being thrown in the playroom, hugs on the knees and neck, little voices asking for something to eat, saying "I've got to go pee!" and just generally calling "mom" all day long, I know I can wait.

How can you not love a kid who just wants a personal sized watermelon, rootbeer floats, a silly string fight in the snow, and to be allowed to stay up late to watch a bowl game and sleep in a tent in the basement for his birthday? With a birthday the day after Christmas, it's fun to do things differently.

IMG_8737





IMG_8765

No comments:

Pay online through Paypal

Payment For

Followers

Add to Technorati Favorites